This week, CoastHill does the requisite summer roundup of street food with Bud the Spud starring, and HeraldSpurr goes Vietnamese with Indochine Bahn mi. Meh. (crickets chirping here). Although Spurr does go on the offensive and cuts off the typical response that comes with any ethnic resto review–somebody will write in to let you know that the restaurant cannot possibly be as good as the real they ate when they went to its culinary homeland.
I always wanted to answer by using words of wisdom from an old Norwegian chef I once knew. He said “Don’t forget there are just as many truckstops in Europe as there is in Canada”. His point? That just because it’s authentic, doesn’t mean it’s good. I’ve had poorly cooked pasta in Milan, and a horrible baguette in Paris. Just sayin’.
Tagsbalsamic vinegar baltimore beer bicycle thief bistro blue crab canadian cuisine chains chinese chocolate chowder cocoa pesto comfort food cookbook critics dessert diners dinner party downtown restaurant dusseldorf elements on hollis fid food ads food network food network canada france germany haiku italy jagermeister knife knives lobster local NaPoWriMo nimbus peter nowlan pork recipe soup tasting menu thursdays top chef canada whacky doo wine
- Eat:getaway lamb chops Drink: Strongbow Listen: Figgy Duff #rootsareshowing @meatmongers http://t.co/4BPK1OAVcw 2 hours ago
- Eat: tin beans drink: India beer listen: damp wood whistling in fire #may24 #NL camping memories #alwayscold 22 hours ago
- “@HighlandDrive: Tuesday means the start to the week and many meat/treats!!!” Mmm...meat treats... 22 hours ago
- “@FidKitchen: News blast: FID will be serving Back Door Pad Thai only between 12:00 and 5:00 from tomorrow till Friday. #lastchance! 22 hours ago
- “@HighlandDrive: Sausages are flying off the shelf!! " nothing beats flying sausages! #deliciousness 3 days ago
Looking for something in particular?